Buying a domain from HugeDomains.com

Sale signI recently found my self in a position of negotiating the purchase of a domain from a domain reseller (or “domainers” as they are commonly referred to as [1]). It is one of those outfits that buys up domains in bulk to resell them at a huge markup. Before I contacted HugeDomains I googled around [2] [3] and couldn’t find much in the way of specifics on how to negotiate with them. I wasn’t even sure if they negotiate at all for their domains. I am writing this article about my experience buying a domain from HugeDomains.com in the hope that it will help someone else buying a domain from them. My purpose is to try and document as much information as I can about the transaction.

Background

First a bit of background about HugeDomains.com. They are a relatively new outfit which started getting into the domain reselling business around 2006. The company behind HugeDomains.com is TurnCommerce.com operated by Andrew Reberry[4]. Andrew’s company is also affiliated with the domain registrar NameBright.com[5]. All of these companies are located in Denver, Colorado. The company TurnCommerce has an A+ rating with the BBB (as of November 2010). While you can disagree with their business model, they seem to be a reputable business. I can state that my interactions with the company were entirely professional, and once a deal was reached the transaction was processed quickly. We had the domain in our possession, transferred to my preferred registrar within 3 days.

The Value of a Name

Figuring out the value of domain names is tricky. There are lots of factors which can influence the value of any particular domain name. Here are a few general ones:

1) How short is the name? People like shorter names because they are easier to remember and quicker to type.

2) What is the potential business value? If the name is obviously linked to a product or service that people are looking for then its value is higher.

3) What extension is it? For whatever reason everyone want’s a “.com” domain name. All other extensions are worth a lot less.

4) Is the name brandable? Short or long, some names are easier for people to connect with a concept or business.

5) Does it contain weird characters? Things like dashes or numbers in strange places detract from the value of a domain.

6) Are there other alternatives? If people can choose something else for cheaper that also works, then the value is lower.

At the end of the day value is completely relative. How much a domain name is worth to me is different that what it is worth to someone else. HugeDomains.com and other resellers have to walk a fine line trying to figure out the market price for a particular domain. They try to figure out for someone who is interested in using this domain for it’s maximum potential (i.e. building a business on it) how much would that person be willing to pay for the domain. It’s a hard thing to do and the success of their business depends upon it.

Our Story

We were in the process of setting up a new website and needed a domain name. Unfortunately, it was already taken! HugeDomains.com already owned it and wanted $1,495 for it. In my opinion that’s an outrageously high sum of money for this particular domain name. Their website offers a one click buy button for the domain at the full asking price. Since we weren’t willing to do that, I sent an email inquiring about the domain to see if they even negotiate. Around a month later we received a reply from Christian Bosse, on behalf of hugedomains.com, he invited us to submit an offer for the domain.

At this point we needed to figure out how much we valued the domain. We were certainly not willing to spend the full asking price for the domain and after a long conversation about it we settled that our maximum amount we were willing to pay was $700, but that we’d make an an initial offer at $400. We received their reply to our initial offer very quickly, just a few hours later. The reply stated that HugeDomains won’t accept less than $500 for any domain that they sell. It then goes on to say that for domains in the $1500 range they typically accept offers in the $800 – $1000 range depending on “certain” factors. What those factors are, I have no idea. At they very end Christian adds one more wrinkle stating that our next offer would be “final”, what does that mean?

After receiving the reply we were unsure of what our next step should be:

First, I had assumed that the negotiation was going to be like a car, where you say a number, they reply with a another number, etc. This continues until you reach a mutually agreeable number or you decide to part ways. His email indicates that we are making a “final offer” possibly meaning we could not make future offers for some amount of time. We didn’t know.
Second, he states that they would not accept offers for less than $500. I don’t know if this is something he just added this to get us to increase our offer or if this is an actual policy they follow.
Third, he presents a new price range ($800 – $1000). If he’s voluntarily offering this information I am pretty sure it must be higher that what he actually thinks the value of the domain is. We immediately feel comfortable that we will eventually get the domain for at most our maximum value of $700. But the question is how much lower will he go?

As I saw it there were three options, 1) stick with the current $400 offer, 2) increase it to $500 the possible faux minimum, or 3) go straight to our $700 maximum. At this point we consult with several other co-workers having an engaging discussion on the best negotiation strategies to maximize returns. We had fun running through several scenarios and trying to predict what their response would be. However it boils down to the simple fact that we don’t know enough to predict their response or find the optimal strategy… it’s just a guess. In the end we decided that we would increase our bid to $500. Our plan was that they would either accept it right away or we would wait a few more months and try again at a slightly higher amount.

Our $500 offer was accepted right away. The domain transfer proceeded smoothly and everything worked just as expected. Happy ending, and we’ll have our website up soon.

Thoughts

I’ll never know if I should have stuck to my original offer of $400. I don’t know if they really have a $500 minimum policy or not. I am inclined to think I made a mistake and they would have taken the $400 offer. However I am glad that I didn’t jump immediately to my maximum bid!

Lastly, HugeDomains.com likely made a lot of money, even at the lower offer of $500. The prices that registrar’s pay for domains is fixed by ICANN at $6 for a 1 year registration [6]. However, we don’t know how much it costs them to acquire the domain initially nor do we know know the overhead of employing staff to handle negotiations, etc. It seems reasonable to assume that they picked up the registration for relatively cheap from someone else dropping their registration and I doubt their overhead costs for a small operation are that high. The business also operates on high volume with multiple hundreds of thousands of domains in their inventory. Factoring all these things in, it seems to me that their business model is highly profitable with extremely high markups.

References

[1] “Domain name speculation” on Wikepedia, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Domain_name_speculation

[2] “HugeDomains.com = the next BuyDomains.com“,  http://www.domainstryker.com/huge-domains-andrew-reberry/

[3] “Dear HugeDomains.com: $995 is Too Much for this Blog Name – Ya Pirates.“, http://signalwriter.blogspot.com/2009/11/dear-hugedomainscom-995-is-too-much-for.html

[4] Andrew Reberry’s Linked in Profile, http://www.linkedin.com/in/andrewreberry

[5] “NameBright’s Terms and Conditions“, http://www.namebright.com/Terms.aspx

[6] “Revised VeriSign .com Registry Agreement: Appendix G“, http://www.icann.org/en/tlds/agreements/verisign/registry-agmt-appg-com-16apr01.htm

Updates

January 21st, 2011: The article was revised at the request of HugeDomains.com. I also took the opportunity to correct several grammatical problems and cleanup the article a bit.

Tags:

37 Responses to “Buying a domain from HugeDomains.com”

1. This is very much how domain names will be sold in the future.

2. Aggro says:

Any site operator who doesn’t or can’t afford to pay $1000 for a domain for his business should NOT be in business. Period.

Of course, even a total newb like you knew .com is the best.
    ‘course you could have got the .net for $9 – but didn;t.

Champagne tastes, beer money budget

3. Scott says:

Aggro,

Your comment is rather startling. Are you suggesting that we should all buy domain names at exaggerated prices from resellers as some sort of “test” of business worthiness? I am sure that if the reseller could have sold the domain to someone else at a higher price they would have. No one twisted their arm in this transaction.

I will turn your comment around and say: Any business which over pays for goods or services should NOT be in business. Period.

Scott–

4. Q says:

I dealt with Mr. Bosse recently as well, and he was a colossal condescending ***hole. Anyone associated with HugeDomains.com should be put in prison.

5. Scott says:

Like I said in the post, Christian Bosse, was entirely professional and all my interactions with the company were the same. Once the deal was reached the transaction was completed very quickly.

Scott–

6. Greg says:

I, too, recently dealt with “The” Bosse and I’ve never spoken with such an unprofessional businessman in my life. I can’t comment on the business itself because I decided not to work with them after Christian Bosse reached out to me.

7. Christian Bosse says:

Hi Scott, and everyone else involved in this discussion! Here it is from the horses mouth: there is no magical formula to doing business with our firm. We try to be fair. The value of a domain has to do with the domain itself. We use some modeling to establish our asking price, which includes comparable sales and some proprietary data. When folks call in to ask about a domain, we’re happy to do a price review. In some instances, we’re willing to negotiate. The degree upon which we’re willing to discount any price has to do with the domain itself. In some instances, we’re absolutely committed to our sales price. In some instances, we’ll offer/accept a deeper discount than in other cases.

In all cases, I try to be as professional as possible. I have spent 15 years in sales and marketing, and believe that the whole reason for business is to take care of customers. That being said, professionalism is a two-way street. Customers deserve the best service and courtesy as possible. You (customers) are critical to the success and health of our business, and we appreciate each and every opportunity to create a win-win outcome. Unfortunately, as you can imagine, there are times when our team has to deal with some very adversarial folks who just don’t see the value in a good, premium dot com domain. I wish I could be all things to all people, but who can? Anyhow, anyone is free to call me anytime and I’ll take good care of you!

8. Leon says:

Thanks for this post Scott,

I recently made a purchase from Huge Domains as well and dealt with Christian Bosse.

The asking price for the domain was $1,395 and after reading your post I decided to contact Huge Domains to negotiate a price that I was willing to pay. I used their contact form on their website and asked if they were willing to negotiate. During this initial contact I offered 300.00.

I immediately received an email from Chritian saying that they could not accept 300.00, but that they could put it up for a two week open auction with the starting bid at 600.00, or that I should make my best offer and they would consider selling the domain outright.

The most I wanted to pay for this domain was 500.00. So, I offered 500 outright and Christian replied that he would put it up for a two week open auction at a starting bid of 500.00 and if there wasn’t much interest he would try his best to end the auction early for me.

I agreed and bid 500.00, exactly one week later Christian ended the auction (one week early) and I now own the domain I wanted for a price I was willing to pay.

All interactions with Christian were professional and painless.

Although, I think the domain name reselling business is quite shady and that it really sucks there is no regulations for reselling domains, it must definitely be a profitable business model.

Oh well, if people are willing to pay there will always be business.

Thanks again.

9. Andrew says:

I am surprised to hear anyone say they got a “good” deal from these guys, when all Huge Domains did was get there first. They add no value to the system, rather try to get to names first for absolutely no reason except to extort as much money as possible. It’s pretty obvious from the pathetic negotiating tactics described above (your next offer will be final? what the hell is that?) that they’re recycling shady car dealer high-pressure techniques. The phony auction is laughable! Transparent lying. Did he also say he had to go talk to the manager? That the offer was good for one day only? He had no other bidder and knew he wasn’t going to get one anytime soon.

I only hope ICANN pops the fee up to $7 and squeezes these worms out of business so they can go into something where they contribute value. That’s the primary value of the fee, which should if anything be smaller. All you’re buying is a line in a database somewhere and administrative overhead. (Again, fees charged without added value.)

I came here with the conviction that I would not negotiate with these people, even for the rights to my own name (or in this case a friend’s). I’m twice as convinced now. There are too many ways to alter a domain name slightly and avoid them altogether. Anyway, I suspect if we wait a year Huge Domains will be out of business, its proprietor moving on to penile enhancement creams or whatever. And a salesman who can’t keep his manners is not good at what he does and won’t last if the market is even halfway healthy.

Please please don’t buy from these people if you possibly can. Consider legal action if you have a trademark claim. Or wait, and they will die. That’s how I picked up my own name; I waited a year and the crass entrepreneur who had it folded. From $500 to $10 overnight, plus the satisfying distant noise of their sorry enterprise deflating.

10. Jeff says:

First of all, Scott, I like how quickly you put Aggro to shame! :) I definitely agree 100% with what you said in your first post, and your reply to Aggro. I’ve dealt directly with Christian and Joel from HugeDomains.com, and let me tell you first hand that they are the WORST people I’ve ever dealt with. They constantly told me that they’d get back to me within the same day, but then would never NEVER follow through. I had to call and email them repeatedly just to get some basic information, which neither could give without saying, “I’ll have to call you back.” It was such a headache that I would never recommend anyone to deal with them, or allow themselves to be ripped off by their crazy prices. I signed up for 3 different domain appraisal services, and compared the appraised value vs. hugedomains prices. Of course, hugedomains prices are insanely above fair market value. In my opinion, they’re total scam artists. Their sole business and purpose is to rip people off. Think about it, every other business gives you something for the cost. Spend money at the Gap, and you’ll get a sweater. Spend money at the auto mechanic, and you’ll get your car fixed. Spend money at Hugedomains and you’ll just pay a ton of money because they bought it first. It’s the same as someone buying up all of the food and water, then reselling it for 10x’s its actual value. :(

11. UGE Domain says:

@ Andrew
    “all Huge Domains did was get there first. They add no value to the system”

Being first has its benefits. I winder how you feel about the business men who purchased huge tracts of land in the downtown core of your city years and years ago. All they di was get there first right? Now they want 1000s of times their initial purchase price. Same deal.

I only hope ICANN pops the fee up to $7 and squeezes these worms out of business” Huh? Names cost more than that already and when guys are making markups in the 100 and 1000x I dint think $7 is much of a disuading factor.

“I suspect if we wait a year Huge Domains will be out of business”
    Columbo you are not but if you are a gambling man I’d love to wager on this with you and GIVE YOU ODDs, big odds.

“Or wait, and they will die” Andrew, don’t hold your breath otherwise YOU will die

12. Thank you for posting this article.

Some quick up to date details regarding the cost of domain names on the registrar level:

ICANN fees are $0.18 per domain name under management per year per domain and Verisign currently charges $7.34 per domain name year. Prices for .COMs to go up in January to $7.86.

13. Mick Wolf says:

I sold my business in April of 2012. The person I sold the business to put my business out of business 5 months later, then filed bankruptcy. The bankruptcy courts awarded all assets of the business back to me. I should have received the 2 web domains specific to my business back in the bankruptcy, but the guy who filed bankruptcy let one of the domains immediately go. I backordered the domain through Go Daddy, but Huge Domains was the company who purchased the domain. When I saw that Huge Domains took ownership of the domain, I immediately called them. I barely said hello on the phone before the guy at Huge Domains started being condescending to me. Before I could say anything he said…I bet you’re calling to ask the price of the domain, and I bet you’re gonna ask us if we can lower the price. I responded by saying I’m only calling to find out how much the domain will be for sale for. The guy then responded by saying well it’ll be well over 1,000 dollars and the price will not be negotiable. The guy then hung up the phone on me.

I didn’t get the impression Huge Domains operated in any kind of way that can be deemed professional. They were rude and condescending as soon as they picked up the phone. Their prices are ridiculously sky high.

You have to question the moral integrity of anyone who supports Huge Domains.

14. Peter says:

I am annoyed at these folks – I have a relatively unusual surname – I have the surname.org and surname.name domains – someone else in the family had the surname.com, and I was waiting for it to expire with Godaddy. Literally within minutes, it did, and was scooped up by this lot – I wouldn’t be surprised if there wasn’t some collusion between them and Godaddy. THey are asking $1495. Get real – this is of value to people only in my family with my surname, and I know most of them, and there are probably 100 of us on the planet. I am tempted just to wait them out…

15. Ash says:

Peter, what you just said about collusion between the registrar and Huge Domains is something I believe needs investigating. I paid a registrar to put me first in line for a domain name that was expiring soon as I wanted to get hold of it (my name – it had only ever been a ‘server not found’ and owned by someone of the same name in England), I checked in about 6 months later and whaddyaknow, Huge Domains got there claws on it already. Did my (paid) request to reserve it somehow get passed on to HD who thought to themselves “here’s a guy who obviously wants this domain, lets get in there first and do the middle-man shyster on him”
    Thoughts?

16. Scott says:

Ash,

I doubt there was any collusion between your prior registrar and Huge Domains. The fact is that buying expired domains is a gamble and is not a on first come first. If you dont follow a few basix steps the there is no way you’ll be able to get a competative domain name. See my other blog post on how the whole domain expiration process works: http://www.scottphillips.com/2011/01/buying-an-expiring-domain-name/

Scott–

17. ScammedAggie says:

[Comment removed by author's request]

18. Scott (Admin) says:

Kat,

I am not familiar with the federal Anti-Cybersquatting Consumer Protection Act. However, I would expect that in the vast majority of cases the cost to pursue legal action either in the US court system or through ICANN would cost more than what they are currently asking for the domain. Maybe you’d get awarded legal fees after prevailing (if you win!) – I doubt it. The guys at HugeDomain know what they are doing, and I am sure they are intimately familiar with all the laws and regulations.

Unless you went through the trouble of trademarking your name before they bought it I think you’re stuck with two options 1) negotiating with them to buy the domain, 2) or finding another domain name. In either case you’re best leverage in negotiating with them is that you can walk away, so do your best to make that work to your advantage.

Scott–

19. Scott – what many people fail to understand when buying a domain name is that at one point in time it sold to someone for $10. That happened in the past. Whoever bought it did so hoping for the value to go up. Same as buying land. If you bought undeveloped land in Los Angeles years and years ago what would your asking price be today? Using the logic that someone paid $10 in the past means they should not ask $1,500 today makes no sense. They took a calculated risk and their asking price is their potential reward.

If someone does not want to pay for that premium land in Los Angeles they can go to the middle of Wyoming and buy land on the cheap. You (and everyone else) has that option because .com is not the only extension around, it is just the premium one. You could have tried to buy the .net, .org, .info, .etc… for much cheaper.

20. Johnny says:

Sorry to say it to the CEO of the biz who bough the domain, but he is pathetic. He had an employee making at least tens of dollars an hour spend what looks like well over 10 hours doing research and negotiations, plus they had business meetings wasting hundreds of dollars in employees time per meeting, plus they were risking not buying the name they wanted at all, plus they wasted months not buying the name earlier; all that for the possibility to save $ one thousand. The CEO should be fired for incompetence based just on the above.

21. Ms Domainer says:

The domaining industry is one of the most misunderstood business models, often lumped in with “cybersquatters,” those who squat on trademarked names and established company names.

Most of us in the industry are NOT cybersquatters; we deal in generic and brandable names and avoid obvious TM domains. We buy virtual property and resell–no different from buying real estate and allowing it to accrue value and then selling for a profit. Isn’t that capitalism in action?

It’s too bad the baddies give us a bad name; most of us are just business people who happen to deal in virtual properties.

I’m sorry if “your” desired domain name is already “taken,” but I’m also sorry that I didn’t get in the ground floor of Google. However, I’m not going to cry about it; I’ll just follow my own path in life, and that happens to be a domainer (among other labels).

And being rude to domain owners isn’t going to lower the price of your desired domain.

;)

22. John Ceusard says:

What value do these companies add to the domain name, the website, or to the internet?

23. Tony R says:

I strongly advise people to not buy from the likes of HugeDomains.com. Vote with your wallets, if people don’t use their service they can’t continue in business.

My wife had a domain expire, fare enough that was our fault. HugeDomains.com bought the domain and now want over $1300 for it. It’s inconvenient that we will have to reprint some letter heads and business cards, with a new web address and email but that will cost us much less than paying them. Let them waste their money on an obscure domain.

24. Attila says:

I think the person said it best.

Champagne tastes, beer money budget.

I was in the industry heavily buying and selling domains. I can tell you first hand, Huge Domain’s asking prices are often lower than 80% of the market.

Little FYI, average domain asking price starts at $2,800 ~ $3,400. Huge Domain’s asking price on average seems to fit the bill around $1,400 ~ $1,700.

25. Jack says:

I purposely let a website expire and I noticed that hugedomains picked it up for $10 and is reselling it for 1095! Funny, glad it’s still for sale and they wasted their money!!! It will be interesting if they renew it after the year they have it. They do pray on people accidentally not renewing their domains. What a brainless business model. I agree on those that have NOT supported this company. If you’re small, just get a similar domain and leave these crooks holding the bag, especially if they are as rude as others have said above!

26. benjamin says:

Hi there

I can’t reach Christian Bosse.
    I’d like to deal with Hugedomains but on the phone they don not want to negotiate.

Does anyone has his email address?

Many thanks

benjamin

27. Scott (Admin) says:

Benjamin,

It is my understanding that Christian Bosse is no longer with Huge Domains, and I am not aware of who his replacement is. You best bet is to submit an offer to purchase a domain in writing through an email. If they just acquired the domain and need it fast, then you don’t have much leverage and will probably have to put an offer that is close to their asking price. Remember that the best leverage you have in a negotiation is time. If you can use a different domain, if you can wait, then during that time they have to keep inventory without income. So if they’ve had the domain for a long time and not received any offers they are much more willing to entertain lower offers than the hot new domain.

Scott–

28. Mark says:

Why do people keep asking : “What value do these companies add to the domains ?”
    They don’t have to nor need to … Many do not like to compare it to Real Property , but it is the best comparison. As several have already stated – Many people bought huge tracts of land in the early days and simply set on it to let the value go up. They added nothing to the property in most cases and why should they if they don’t need to ?

FYI – for those saying HugeDomains would close or go by the wayside soon enough … NOT !

PS : I’m not affiliated with them in any way though I have worked within the domain/website industry in the past. Congrats to them ~

29. ultima9 says:

@Mark:
    Although you can see similarities between trading domains and trading land, it is very different. Saying that “many people bought up land in the early days and simply sat on it to let the value go up” doesn’t really make sense because the value of land is far, far more stable. You won’t find someone selling the land they bought 2 hours ago for a 3000% markup. Nor will you find companies buying up one million lots and “sitting on it”. Why? Taxes. Taxes based off of the value of the lot. Big Domains is not paying a “tax” to ICANN based off the perceived value. If they were, you can be sure they would not be attempting to sell a domain like bobjohnson.com. They probably would have never bought such a domain in the first place, but even if they had, it would be resold for a reasonable fee because if they just jacked the price up to 1500 dollars they’d have to then pay taxes off of 1500 instead of a reasonable price.

A better analogy would be comparing them to ticket scalpers. Buy up all the good tickets, and walk 100 feet away and resell them to those who didn’t get there first. The purpose of the ticket booth is to sell the tickets at their true value. The purpose of ICANN is to allow anyone (business or individual) easy, cheap access to unused domain names, and to keep track of who has what. The scalpers/domain traders are doing nothing more than being a useless middle man – offering no real service OTHER than the “bonus” of an additional (often absurdly large) fee.

FYI – bragging that HugeDomains owns over one million domains adds to my argument. It just highlights how ridiculous the industry is – the scalpers have bought up a million tickets, and the ticket booth is empty but for a “sold out” sign…

30. Andrew says:

Thanks for this Scott. Just emailed HD trying to negotiate for my wife’s domain. They’re only asking $500, but I’m hoping I will be able to talk them down. I’m encouraged by your experience and hope for the best.

31. Sean says:

Hello. This was a great blog and a very entertaining comment thread. It’s great you still have some comments coming in after posting this in 2010. I’m curious, however, you noted HugeDomains asked you to revise your post. Were you affiliated with HugeDomains?

There were a lot of good points made in the comments. I was researching just a few weeks ago cybersquatting and was pretty disappointed at that time to hear that companies like Huge Domains was not in violation on the outset, but they do appear to be in violation when they purchase expired domain names.

In the case where the domain expired and they immediately purchased it and tried to resell it to the original owners for a markup is in direct violation of cybersquatting laws. You aren’t allowed to purchase domains KNOWING someone’s business is tied to it. The “knowing” is an important factor. Like I said, at the outset, there is really no way Huge Domains can know someone’s business is tied to that name unless it is already trademarked. Purchasing a lapsed domain the day of the lapse seems to imply they know this name is valuable to the owner. This type of practice is shady and abusive. Hopefully we can get it stopped.

There is a good point about real estate being made by Ultima. It isn’t as if they’ve owned this “land” since 1856 and have taken care of it and now have a great offer. They’re just using money to purchase resources and then exploiting the common man. Land is also finite. Domains are not. The similarities also end at the value aspect. Like Scott mentions, the value can be very relative to the person who wants the domain. The value of land is generally the same value for ALL people interested. In the case of the person wanting surname.com, the value was specifically tied to him and anyone else who had this unique name. It isn’t valuable to anyone else, except, in the case of Huge Domains, someone trying to artificially increase the value of said domain. In land, if a lot next to the highway is valuable to Chevron, it’s just as valuable to Shell. The landowner could auction in this case. For surname.com, if they have no interested parties other than the person who wants it, will they take $11 for it? Or will they sit on it for a year (possibly more) just out of spite? What landowner will do that with the exception of the person who has land in their family for generations and doesn’t WANT to sell at all? No one. No one will spitefully sit on land.

Really it’s going to come down to the wrong (or right) person wanting to purchase a domain to make this change, like Sen Scumbucket wants scumbucket.com only to find Huge Domains wants $2,300 for it. Even then, he’ll probably just use our tax dollars to buy or Huge Domains will offer him a deal to keep out of trouble. Point is, it’s going to take some court cases to stop abusive practices like this and that probably won’t happen until ALL domains are owned by some Huge Domains type company.

My advice, find a good registrar. Min will send me an email well ahead of time and if I don’t go in to renew, they buy it automatically themselves. Then they send me another email telling me I forgot to renew and ask if I still want it. If I do, they add the $10 to my bill and that’s it. If I don’t, they let it lapse next year. You can say that’s a silly business practice because they’re making purchases they don’t even know if their customers still want, but it’s their stance they take to avoid companies like Huge Domains taking advantage of people who just forget to renew on time.

32. JP says:

Interesting article. I saw a domain name I wanted to buy and it was $900 at HugeDomains.com. I then called GoDaddy to verify that they had dealt with this company before regarding transfer of domain names, etc. GoDaddy told me they had had several bad experiences with them in the past. Strangely GoDaddy said they could broker the deal for me which would be safer and I could pay them and that I wouldn’t be charged until they had officially taken over the name. I thought this sounded strange…how could GoDaddy be brokering deals unless they were somehow in partnership with HugeDomains.com? By the way NameBright.com has a “D” rating from the BBB and NameBright.com is owned by the same company as HugeDomains.com

33. AJ says:

I love the waterworks. If you don’t see the value in the domain don’t pay it.

34. Gilly Nava says:

My domain – which I had with NameCheap – has suddenly appeared as registered and for sale on Huge Domains. I wonder if there is a connection between them as ICANN says that they can’t transfer an expired domain (never got the emails about the expiry date) for 60 days after expiry. My domain expired in September 2013 and they transferred it in November 2013 in clear violation of the ICANN stipulation. I am livid. Have been trying to solve this but NameCheap won’t budge (and according to them didn’t sell – yeah like – my domain), they sent it to the Registrar for purchase/auction. It’s a load of bull and I have filed a complaint with the WhoisRegistry and ICANN. Let’s see what happens. I am so angry as I have had that domain since 2010 and they are selling it for $1,295.00 – ratbags.

35. mauricebis says:

I recently polled godadies for a domain name. I had found about what I wanted but just wanted to think it over for a couple of days before going for it. Surprise, I discover today that it has been taken by hugedomains. Could be just a matter of coincidence, could also be that there’s a leak from godadies checking what users search for and selling them to hugedomains with profit; What a business though, sounds quite immoral to me if that’s true!

36. Rick says:

@mauricebis
    If you look up a domain and then wait 2 days to register it the only person at fault is yourself. Someone else had the same idea as you and you blew it by wasting time. Also it might help your case if you even knew who the company was you dealt with in the first place. ‘Godadies’ is not a company.

37. Casey D says:

Domain front running and cybersquatting are despicable practices, and domainers are extortionists that are in bed with popular registrars to STEAL names soon after their searched for. This is often called “domain tasting”, where they can keep it for 5 days to test profitability. They place ads on it, which easily offsets the >10 registration fee. If someone buys a domain for an exorbitant amount, it just gives them more power and reason to keep doing it.

I hope one day, these companies and individuals will be prosecuted for the criminals they are. There is no comparison to real estate here: they snatch the item you’re reaching for and tell you they’ll let you have it..for 100x what they paid.

It’s wrong, it’s illegal (but expensive and difficult to prosecute), and you people that are defending them make me sick.

HD snatched one of mine a few days ago, but they can sit on it until they rot. I will not negotiate with terrorists.